Biographical Databases: Expert Meeting
On 27-28 May 2019, the ENP-China ERC project will be holding its first Expert meeting at the Maison de la Recherche in Aix-en-Provence. Because we are in the process of developing a biographical database — the Modern China Biographical Database — the first Expert meeting will bring together scholars involved in similar endeavors and more broadly in databases for historical research.
During this two-day event, scholars will present and review the biographical databases that they are contributing to or in the process of developing. Our main purpose is to exchange and share very broadly about historical data, database design, interoperability, bottlenecks, data analysis and more.
Seven distinguished scholars have accepted our invitation to join our research team in conducting this collaborative effort at re-thinking biographical databases in the era of big historical data. We are very grateful for their willingness to share their experience and recommendations.
Panel 1. Monday 27 May – 9h00-12h00
- Antske Fokkens, VU University Amsterdam
- Thomas David, University of Lausanne
Base de données sur les Élites suisses au XXe siècle (and more..)
- Matthias Schloegl, Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities (Austrian Academy of Sciences)
The new Austrian Biographical Dictionary
Panel 2. Monday 27 May – 13h45-17h00
- Francesco Beretta, CNRS (LARHA, Lyon)
- Ian Johnson, The University of Sydney
- Jean-Pierre Dedieu, CNRS (IAO, Lyon)
Panel 3. Tuesday 28 May – 9h00-12h00
- Sun Huei-min, Academia Sinica (Institute of Modern History)
- Christian Henriot, ENP-China (ERC)
Modern China Biographical Database (project)
- Roundtable discussion