Postdoctoral position in modern Chinese history
The ERC ENP-China project (Institute of Asian Studies, Aix-Marseille, France) invites applications for a Postdoctoral fellow in modern Chinese history starting in September 2022. This is a full-time research position for a duration of 18 months. Applicants shall have completed the Ph.D. within the last four years with a specialization in modern Chinese history.
We expect the candidate to have a previous experience working on/in digital humanities projects (individual or collective) and a solid practice in one domain of digital methodologies. The preferred fields may include any of the following domains: text analysis, network analysis, statistical analysis, GIS as well as basic programming skills in Python or R (other programming languages will also be considered).
The appointee will carry out her/his independent research program within the ENP-China project “Elites, networks, and power in modern urban China (1830-1949) and contribute to the development of collective resources for research. The ENP-China project is funded by a European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant. The appointee will be expected to interact with other postdoctoral fellows and with students, faculty and engineers affiliated with the ENP-China project.
The fellowship will begin in September 2022. It carries an annual gross stipend of €55,000 [around 2,500 net/month], a competitive benefits package, and financial support for travel, equipment, software, or other research expenses. Postdoc fellows are required to spend the academic year (September–July) in residence with the ENP-China research team.
- PhD in the field of history (or sociology, political science);
- demonstrable knowledge in a field of digital methodologies;
- a genuine interest in the study of elites;
- excellent presentation and writing skills in English;
- a cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A curriculum vitae (including a list of publications)
- A brief statement of past research accomplishments (1 page max.) and a proposal of research to be conducted in the ENP-China project (2 pages max.)
- A brief note on skills in digital technologies (humanities and social sciences) (1 page max.)
- A writing sample (dissertation chapter, academic paper)
- A copy of relevant degree(s)
- Two letters of recommendation to be sent by the referees to enpmuc[at]gmail.com
Applications shall be submitted through the ENP-China platform: Events:Job application or Red button on the home page.
Please send your application documents as a single PDF document.
Deadline: Applications will be received until a suitable candidate is recruited, but the first round of application reviews will start on August 31.
If you have any further enquiries about the position, feel free contact Prof. Christian Henriot at christian.r.henriot[at]gmail.com