Call for Applications
More positions will be advertised as the project develops.
The ENP-China research team is looking for a NLP engineer. The ERC ENP-China (https://www.enpchina.eu) is a “Digital Humanities” research project that aims to study the mutation of elites in China between the 19th and 20th centuries on the basis of a large amount of data, especially textual data, in Chinese and English from this period. The identification of individuals and organizations/institutions mentioned in the historical texts — especially in the press — is essential in order to process the volume of available data. Various models for named entity recognition have already been adapted within our team and are implemented on our data. However, this approach does not allow the precise identification of the extracted entities.
The work of the recruited engineer will focus on the development of a named
entity linking system allowing to link named entities found in historical texts
with various knowledge bases: MCDB (https://bookdown.enpchina.eu/mcbd_usermanual/), Wikidata, Baidu Baike… Furthermore, it will also be necessary to link (with a unique identifier) the
entries in different knowledge bases about the same individuals or organisations. In addition, other NLP tasks will also be implemented, in particular in relation to the re-segmentation and/or classification of articles from the English and Chinese press.
- Contract: Full-time CDD of 9-12 months
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Gross salary: €3100 per month
- Location: Aix-en-Provence
The employer is Protisvalor / Aix-Marseille Université
- Implement a named entity linking system adapted to our data and knowledge
- Integrate this system with our existing infrastructure (in collaboration with
other members of the team).
- Implement an article segmentation system that matches the historians’ needs and
- Help and advise the team’s historians in order to solve problems where NLP
could be a solution.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Have a master’s degree in NLP or Machine Learning
- Good skills in Python and good knowledge of commonly used NLP/ML libraries
(PyTorch and/or Tensorflow, SpaCy, Transformers, …)
- Good command of Linux is required.
- Good command of English is required. French and Chinese language skills are
- Ability to organize yourself efficiently and work in a internationally
Send your CV and cover letter to christian.henriot [at] univ-amu.fr and baptiste.blouin [at] univ-amu.fr
Postdoctoral position in modern Chinese history
The ERC ENP-China project (Institute of Asian Studies, Aix-Marseille, France) invites applications for a Postdoctoral fellow in modern Chinese history starting in September 2022. This is a full-time research position for a duration of 18 months. Applicants shall have completed the Ph.D. within the last four years with a specialization in modern Chinese history.
We expect the candidate to have a previous experience working on/in digital humanities projects (individual or collective) and a solid practice in one domain of digital methodologies. The preferred fields may include any of the following domains: text analysis, network analysis, statistical analysis, GIS as well as basic programming skills in Python or R (other programming languages will also be considered).
The appointee will carry out her/his independent research program within the ENP-China project “Elites, networks, and power in modern urban China (1830-1949) and contribute to the development of collective resources for research. The ENP-China project is funded by a European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant. The appointee will be expected to interact with other postdoctoral fellows and with students, faculty and engineers affiliated with the ENP-China project.
The fellowship will begin in September 2022. It carries an annual gross stipend of €55,000 [around 2,500 net/month], a competitive benefits package, and financial support for travel, equipment, software, or other research expenses. Postdoc fellows are required to spend the academic year (September–July) in residence with the ENP-China research team.
- PhD in the field of history (or sociology, political science);
- demonstrable knowledge in a field of digital methodologies;
- a genuine interest in the study of elites;
- excellent presentation and writing skills in English;
- a cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A curriculum vitae (including a list of publications)
- A brief statement of past research accomplishments (1 page max.) and a proposal of research to be conducted in the ENP-China project (2 pages max.)
- A brief note on skills in digital technologies (humanities and social sciences) (1 page max.)
- A writing sample (dissertation chapter, academic paper)
- A copy of relevant degree(s)
- Two letters of recommendation to be sent by the referees to enpmuc[at]gmail.com
Applications shall be submitted through the ENP-China platform: Events:Job application or Red button on the home page.
Please send your application documents as a single PDF document.
Deadline: Applications will be received until a suitable candidate is recruited, but the first round of application reviews will start on August 31.
If you have any further enquiries about the position, feel free contact Prof. Christian Henriot at christian.r.henriot[at]gmail.com
Postdoc research position in Natural Language Processing
The position has been filled.